Tomorrow the Sioux take on the Seawolves of Alaska Anchorage at the Ralph Engelstad Arena. The Sioux are looking for a win to get the ship rightened, while the Seawolves are looking for a win to keep their surprising start going.
As Schloss reported, both Finley and Genoway will be doubtful for this weekend, leaving yet again big holes at defense. Miller played very well at D in the Springs last weekend, and I look for him to do the same this weekend.
The Sioux's offense came alive last weekend, lighting up the darling goalie of the league Richard Bachman 7 times. The Sioux got contributions all around, including goals from Zajac, Gregoire, Hextall, and Hobey Baker winner Ryan Duncan.
Keys to a Sioux Sweep this weekend:
- Limit the rebounds. Eidsness has to do a better job of controlling the rebounds, and in turn, his defense has to clear them out
- Convert on the power play. Again, UND's power play suffered last weekend, going just 2-14. If the Sioux can convert on their power play opportunities, Anchorage could be in for a long weekend
- Contributions from the freshmen class. It was good to see Hextall and Gregoire getting involved, and Hextall was on the starting line last weekend with VandeVelde and Duncan.
- Strong goaltending. Eidsness is playing better each game, and he needs to continue to make the saves he is not supposed to make..
- Stay out of the box. A 5x3 two weeks ago killed a 2-0 lead the Sioux had against Wisconsin . A 5 minute major on Hextall Saturday night (albeit a questionable call) gave CC two goals and the lead. Have to stay penalty free
- Limit the mistakes. Yes, this is a young team that is still coming together, and they will make mistakes, but turning the puck over in the defensive zone will cost you every time in this league
That all being said, I think we will come out of this weekend the victor in both games and carry a .500 record into Duluth.