The Sioux came into Colorado Springs hurting, and needing at least a split. A sweep would have been huge, but unfortunately it was not meant to be, as CC beat up the Sioux 7-4.
CC got on the board first, scoring in the first period, but the Sioux answered right back with young Hextall slapping a one time in from just above the crease. Duncan put the Sioux up 2-1 with a nice shot over Bachman's right shoulder, but it came at a price, as Hextall was given a 5 minute major for checking from behind. Questionable call to say the least. CC then tied it up late in the first.
In the 2nd, CC still took advantage of the PP and scored again. UND answered with VandeVelde, then took the lead again with Gregoire firing a snipe into the net, making it 4-3 Sioux. CC answered again though twice, making it 5-4 going into the third.
The 3rd continued to see action, but the Sioux faltered and ended up losing 7-4.
I was at this game, which was up and down, exciting, and filled with action. A few observations from the weekend:
- The Sioux had a patchwork defense in for the weekend. Friday it worked. Saturday, with Genoway out and Jones with a broken hand, not so much
- Hextall got screwed on that 5 minute major call Saturday
- CC fans are pretty classy actually. Other than good natured ribbing, they were respectful of the Sioux and the fans. Thank you CC fans
- Gregoire is going to be a special player, as is Hextall
- Eidsness is coming into his own and had a strong showing Friday night. Saturday I would say only 2 goals he should have flat out saved. The rest he was screened by his own guys or the defense didn't clear out the rebounds
- The players played hungry. They were fired up. Good to see
- CC is a great defensive team. They make you pay for mistakes
- UND travels very well. Thanks to all the alumni who showed up this weekend, many of whom do not live in the Denver area
Back home against Anchorage next weekend. A chance for their first sweep of the season. Good weekend Sioux.