November 8, 2009

Great weekend for the Sioux

Well then. I'm not used to this. A Sioux team that is dominating in the first half of the season? This is kind of bizarre, is it not?

The Sioux traveled up to Houghton this last weekend, a place where they do ok, not great. Against a Tech team that for some reason, gives teams like the Sioux fits every now and then. But the Sioux rose up and swept the Huskies and are sharing first place in the WCHA with Denver and Colorado College.

My thing I was most impressed with this weekend was the play of Evan Trupp. This is a kid that had a great freshman season but suffered a crucial injury against Duluth, causing him to miss the rest of the season. Last year, he wasn't bad, but wasn't impressive either. I said it at the beginning of the year that the junior class would define this team, and Evan certainly looked up to the task over the weekend, scoring 3 goals in the two wins.

Also, a guy that I think is going to make a big impact this year is baby Toews. Following in his brothers footsteps, I'm sure he's getting a lot of flak from other teams about not being the better Toews brother. He might not be as talented as Johnny, but I tell you what, this kid can play. He's gritty, he hustles, and he is always looking to make a play. The goal he scored last night proves it. Banging in your own rebound is tough. But he stayed with the puck the whole time.

I don't want to look too far ahead...but in two weekends, it looks like the showdown of the WCHA powerhouses is going to come to a head in Denver. I know George is looking forward to it; he said so in his postgame interview. The Sioux first have to play St. Cloud.

No comments: