March 21, 2010

Broadmoor Champions!

The Sioux are just steamrolling their way into the post-season.

Last night, they became only the 2nd team to win the play-in game and also win the tournament (Duluth in 2009). And they did it in convincing fashion after going down 2-0 in the opening minute! St. Cloud opened with two quick goals and had the Sioux fans reeling before most of them had even sat down. Yet the team persevered and found a way to crawl back into the game, as they have so often this season.

One of the most special moments for me, in all my years of watching Sioux hockey, was watching the team force Chay to accept the trophy, even though he didn't really want to. Essentially, it shows me how unified this team is. Schloss sums it up by saying "this team gets it."

The powerplay was extremely effective last night, with the Sioux going 3-5. The PK held up too, killing off 5 SCSU powerplays.

On a more personal note, every year, I bid my vacation around the Final Five. This event is THAT important to me. It's something I look forward to every single year. It's a chance to get together with fans who are as passionate about the game as I am. I had a great time this year again and really want to thank all the fans that came out. It didn't have quite the same feel as when the Gophers are in it, but I still had a great time seeing people I don't get to see very often. It truly is the fans that make the Final Five experience, and I think we as fans did a great job this year.

We'll find out today where the Sioux are heading and who they'll open up against. My theory is out east against UNH in the same bracket as Boston College and Alaska. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are out east only they play Yale.BC would be next as they have Alaska and I don't see them losing to them.This time the Sioux will have BC's number.